What is this?
The Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation is offering a School Safety and Security $3 to $1 Matching Grant. Yes, you spend $1 out of the district/school budget for Safety and Security and the Ohio BWC will match it at an amount of $3; to a maximum of $40,000.
What can I purchase?
- Incident response equipment such as equipment bags/backpacks stocked with trauma first aid supplies, two-way communication devices and software designed to directly interface with emergency responder radio systems, and school-wide panic alarm/panic button systems;
- Building/grounds/transportation security enhancements such as interior and exterior security doors and mechanisms (e.g., panic bars or other fire code compliant door locking mechanisms, bullet proof glass, bullet resistant coating materials for existing glass), protective vehicle crash barriers at front of entrances, modifications of building/facility entrances to restrict access, secured keycard systems, metal detectors (fixed or portable), security cameras and emergency (police dispatch) call poles;
- Safety interventions such as flooring/floor coatings to designed reduce slip hazards, lightweight lunch tables that reduce lifting and handling hazards, motorized bleacher systems to reduce manual pushing and pulling forces, safe food fryers, food cutting/slicing equipment and floor cleaning machines.
Who can apply?
Licensed Preschools through 12th grade educational facilities. Page 2 does have additional eligibility requirements as specified by the Ohio BWC.
How do I apply?
- Go to the Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Comp Website;
- Search for the School Safety and Security Grant;
- The Application Web Address is: https://www.bwc.ohio.gov/downloads/blankpdf/SH-56.pdf
- The Application is interactive, so you don’t have to print, fill out, scan and resubmit.
The DriveMind Group is dedicated to the safety and success of ALL our educational institutions. We have safety solutions that this grant would pay for: District Emergency Notification Systems, Visitor Management Systems, Classroom Door Barricade Devices and more … contact us today for a list of solutions or product demonstration.
Eligibility requirements (From the Ohio BWC Website)
- Be a state-fund, private or public employer taxing district.
- Be a licensed preschool through 12th grade educational organization/agency that provides direct instructional services to children. All applicants must provide information in their application that clearly describes the services they provide to this population. Eligible employers (among others) include:
- County boards of developmental disabilities.
- Educational service centers.
- Public school districts (including charter schools).
- Private schools (including licensed pre-K schools).
Note: Public and private colleges and universities are not eligible for this grant.
- Have active Ohio workers’ compensation coverage, and maintain continuous active coverage while participating in the program.
- Not have more than 40 days of cumulative lapses in workers’ compensation coverage within the prior 12 months.
- Be current with respect to all payments due BWC as defined in Ohio Administrative Code 4123-17-14.
- Have been in existence for at least two years.
- Have reported payroll for at least one full policy year.
- Timely report actual payroll for the preceding policy year and pay any premium due upon reconciliation of estimated premium and actual premium. We’ll deem an employer to have met this requirement if we receive the payroll true-up report and any associated premium before the expiration of any grace period.